Sunday 2 February 2014

When Should I Start Wearing Make Up?

When should I start to wear make up?

Hey guys! So a couple of days ago I was asked by one of my followers on Instagram 'when should I start wearing make up?' I thought this was such an interesting question as there isn't one answer to this question so I have decided to make a blog post on it.



There is never an age when you have to start wearing make up, it is all about preference and when you feel comfortable to wear it. Just because your friends wear make up it does not automatically mean you need to.

It was only about a year ago that I began to build up my make up collection. Before then all I had was a small bag with a few products in it. I had no brushes, all I needed was a sponge for applying foundation. I had no eye shadow, lipsticks, highlighters, bronzers, powders, or primers. All I had was a foundation, blush that came with a small brush, lots of eye liners and lip glosses. Now I have a huge cabinet full of make up haha!

When I was around 14 I started to wear eye liner in my water line, then when I was 15 i started wearing blush and lip glosses. When I got to 16 I started to buy concealer and foundation. I never used a powder as I didn't know about setting my foundation, so by the end of the day I had nothing to wipe off with my make up wipe.

When I was 18 I made Instagram and started to follow a lot of nail art accounts and became so inspired I started doing it myself. I bought myself over 300 nail polishes and a whole acrylic set. Then I started watching YouTube videos and forgot about nail polish and became very interested in make up and started collecting that instead. It was always my elder sister who was interested in make up, but now I am addicted to collecting it.

Wearing make up for the first time can be a big deal for some. It makes you feel more of a lady and it is a step towards adolescence. Before you begin, try and determine what kind of skin tone you have. The easiest way to do this is by looking at your veins on your wrist. If they are a greenish tone, you have a warm undertone and if they are blue or purple you have a cool skin tone. If you have both green and blue you may have a neutral skin tone. People with warm skin tones look better in purples, blues and reds. Your foundation should have a pinkish undertone. If you have a cool skin tone, you look better in golds, greens and browns. 

There is a lot of make up you can wear and a lot of make up you do not need to wear. No one needs to wear make up, that is why I write 'can'. If you are someone still in school and want to start wearing  make up, think about what it is you want to wear and read below to have an idea on what you mat want to wear depending on your skin type (my opinion, it's not the 'right' way)

If you have very good/ perfect skin, then consider leaving out foundation and concealer. Concealer is used to hide your imperfections and foundation is used to balance out your skin tone. If that is not something you need, leave it out. You do not want to wear foundation as it may cause problems on your skin and I promise you will regret it. You should maybe just use a bit of mascara and lip gloss. You don't want to go crazy with a lot of blush or eye shadow if you are only going to school as you will look silly and I am pretty sure it is not allowed. On days out or parties, you can definitely wear some eye liner and blush, maybe even bronzer too. It is up to you what you choose to wear. As long as you feel confortable in it and you apply it correctly so you don't look silly, you can do as you please! Just remember to remove your make up completely once you go to bed as you don't want to get spots.

If you have good/ slightly problematic skin and feel you need to cover up the problem areas a little, you should go for concealer and a BB cream. A BB cream is perfect as it gives a little bit of coverage and is very mousturising to the skin too. You will have covered up any imperfections with concealer so you won't need much more coverage. If your only problem is dark circles and it's making you look tired, use a bit of under eye concealer and you will look a lot more awake. Never forget to use lip balm as this will also make you look bright and healthy. Adding colour to the lips and a small amount to the face is a great way to look wide awake. Just be sure to not apply too much as you will look like a clown - and that is not a good look.

If you have problematic skin and you want to wear a foundation, always make sure to use ome rthat is suited to your skin type and colour. You do not want the foundation you are choosing to break you out further. If you have oily skin, find a foundation for oily skin, and if you have dry skin, fond one for dry skin. Make sure the foundation you choose matches closely to your skin tone. There is nothing worse than looking like a dorito because your foundation is too dark, or grey becayse it is too light. You want your foundation to look like your skin as much as possible. You do not want to look caked, therefore it is important to choose a shade that matches your skin tone.

There are millions of videos on YouTube of tutorials on how to apply make up and they are super helpful. They have really helped me and I definitely recommend for anyone starting out with make up to look up tutorials as they can really help you choose the best products and how to apply them. 

These are all my tips, I hope they were helpful for some of you. You obviously do not have to follow what I say, this is just what I recommend, and I'm no expert!


Thank you for reading, take care xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment